Friday, July 1, 2011

Vatican City

Today we headed to the Vatican after a disturbing time on the metro. Guys here have no problem being grabby when it gets crowded GROSS. Luckily this probably will be the only time we take the metro. We arrive at the Vatican and head straight for the Sistine Chapel. The halls of Vatican Museum are nice and all but we had a mission and so did everyone else. We wanted the Sistine. It was super crowded when we finally got in and of course they were yelling NO PHOTO! So you just have to not be obvious about the shots you're taking. I did so good until I wanted a close up of the famous touch where God touched Adam. Then some random lady tells me no photo citizens here really like to enforce the law themselves ha ha I got some decent shots though :) It was really incredibly to finally see the chapel. It's really big and I can hardly believe Michelangelo did nearly all of it by himself. We sat there for quite a while until we moved onto the next place. On our way we found this little gelato shop. Oh my gosh! They gave us so much!! It was overflowing and absolutely delicious! I'd say about the size of a softball. That filled us up so we continued on to St. Peter's Basilica. This place is HUGE and gorgeous! There's really so much to see in there it's hard to absorb it all at once. The square we passed getting there is the famous one that's in the Da Vinci Code. It was really cool to see. We headed home after that and will go see the Pantheon tonight!
wood columns that mark St Peter's burial 6 stories below

Outlook of part of Vatican out Vatican Museum's window

me and Trevi

Trevi fountain at night!

cool stained glass window in St Peter's basillica

St. Peter's Basillica - inside

St. Peter's Basillica - outside

me in St. Peter's Basillica

God touching Adam (right before I was told "no photo" by a dutiful citizen)

Sistine Chapel


famous statue in St. Peter's Basillica
me outlooking Vatican and where part of the Da Vinci code takes place :)

2 comments:

  1. Is that Mary holding her son after his death?

    Verying moving thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see Rome. The Romans had it all - once.

    ReplyDelete